The Glass Castle

Started by gfuertes, February 02, 2022, 08:54:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gfuertes

The Glass Castle (based on Jeannette Walls' autobiography) is on Hulu.  Seeing it reminded me that the film came out on video while my ex was in prison, before I'd decided whether to divorce him.  My ex is not like Jeannette Walls' father in overt, specific ways.  But the myriad subtle similarities moved me to read the book (which I hadn't heard of before.)

I was rather blown away when Ex - without me ever bringing it up - mentioned in a message that they'd shown the movie at the prison, and it had inspired him to read the book.  He recommended them both to me.  I wish I could remember exactly how he phrased it, but he commented in a positive way about Walls' father, and his influence on her - with the general idea that she'd written the book to praise her father, and how the ways he'd been so outside the norm had shaped her into a successful person.

I don't think I told him I'd already seen the movie and read the book.  I definitely didn't bother telling him I'd taken Walls' story in nearly the exact opposite way.  But it seemed obvious that Ex had also seen himself in the character of Walls' father, and needed to see him as the amazing hero of her story, rather than someone whose influence she had survived and overcome.

Did anyone else see and/or read this?