The honor thing rolling around in my head again

Started by Lilyloo, February 28, 2022, 03:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonofThunder

Quote from: Mary on April 23, 2022, 03:57:48 AM
Quote from: sunshine702 on April 07, 2022, 04:37:07 AM
I spoke to a Christian Therapist about this as well as it was weighing on my heart.  The stories of their crazy makimg encounters.

He was the first one to suggest very low contact.  Do your duty he said.  That is honor. 

It is my understanding that honoring our parents means taking care of them when they get old and can't feed/bathe themselves anymore. I get this from Mark 7:11 where the Pharisees came up with a rule that let them out of this obligation. Jesus  disregarded the rule and defined for us what it means to honor our parents. It is not about obeying them or seeking their approval.

Mary

I believe it is just as loving (ourselves and them) to hire a kind and caring person (or move parents to a kind/caring facility) to bathe/feed because they are old.  I will not sacrifice my emotional or physical health to care for a PD person who has emotionally and therefore physically abused me.  But i can still love (desire/facilitate what is most beneficial) them in that way.

SoT
Proverbs 17:1
A meal of bread and water in peace is better than a banquet spiced with quarrels.

2 Timothy 1:7
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.

Proverbs 29:11
A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.

Adria

Here is agreat video on that by Jerry Wise called "Don't Use Normal Rules For Abnormal Relationships"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqGf7I-b-9k
For a flower to blossom, it must rise from the dirt.