Been trying to contact admin

Started by dreamtree, March 26, 2022, 04:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreamtree

Hi! I have twice tried to respond to a message in my inbox from admin with no reply.

Can someone help me with that? Thanks in advance!

moglow

With it the weekend, everyone may be out and about and not available on the board right now. They're all volunteers and are on board as and when real life allows. I'm sure they'll respond soon!
"She had not known the weight until she felt the freedom." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
"Expectations are disappointments under construction." ~Capn Spanky, The Nook circa 2005ish

dreamtree

Well, Ive tried since April 2021. So, not exactly a weekend issue. I didn't feel like giving all the details of my problem. Im aware everyone on the list is a volunteer.

But in a nutshell, It seems the entire mailbox isnt working properly. And I figured someone else must have encountered something similar.

dreamtree

Oh no. I think I just figured it out. And its not good.

I somehow lost access to my original account and good not get a proper password reset no matter what I did. Because I went to the forum so infrequently in recent years, I lost track of the way the problem unfolded.

So I created a new account. Eventually I got a message in that new account from admin saying that it looked like I was trying to access the forum from two different accounts, and that the new acount would be deativiated and the original one maintained.

Unfortunately, the opposite appears to have taken place. My original account, opened in 2015, was the one that was deleted. :( 

I messaged admin twice from this new account, but never received a reply.

Bummer. Oh well.

xredshoesx

if the original account had been inactive for some time it would have been purged. 

i went back to december 2020 in my pms- no message received from you regarding an account issue so not sure which admin you sent it to, however i can see where you were contacted via this account on the problem in april 2021.

dreamtree

Yes, and the two replies I sent to _ that _ message were not responded to. 

I even sent a 3rd direct message to latchkey, as it was a name I recognized from 2015 when I first joined.

Thanks for clarifying that inactive accounts are purged. That would have been nice to know. But its still super confusing that I would have been told that I was trying to access the forum from two different accounts when the first account was already purged. Maybe then it wasnt? I still think the wrong account was deleted.

Which is ok. I'll just "start over" . Thanks!

moglow

Theres no need to take potshots at the admins over a simple and avoidable misunderstanding. A[nother] read of the guidelines might be a good idea at this point.

The two accounts were merged to keep your posts together in one account. If you look at the list of your posts, they're there. The actual post count on your profile appears to be off for some reason.

Btw - Anytime you want to contact the admins, go for the handy "report to admins" link at the bottom of any PM, or you can "report to moderators" from any post on the board. That way someone has a chance to respond if the others happen to be unavailable. Singling out one individual stands a really good chance of your PM being overlooked.

"She had not known the weight until she felt the freedom." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
"Expectations are disappointments under construction." ~Capn Spanky, The Nook circa 2005ish

dreamtree

First, I took potshots at no one (?). Please clarify.

Second, I in fact did use the handy "report to admins" button the first time I responded, as per the instructions. In that response, I explained my two accounts, and asked for clarification.

The second time I tried to reply, I used the reply button.

The third time I tried selecting an admin directly from a pulldown list.

Neither times resulted in me getting a response. I have no response in the email associated with this account. I have changed my screenname back to my old dreamtree name. Prior to doing that, I searched for Dreamtree and found no messages.

Back when I joined in 2015, I specifically recall a request to not use this forum for admin related questions, which is why I tried repeatedly too use the PM features available to me.

I am not new to message boards or admin challenges, so I am not uspet with anyone here. I just think some of the reply features might not be working as they should. For example, back in 2015, I dont recall a single PM maxing out the inbox. I realize all the setups change over time.

Its not a big deal, I just wanted to know what happened and in the  process clarify that the reply features in PM when responding to admin don't seem to work properly.

Thanks.

dreamtree

Almost forgot: as to the two accounts being merged, Im not sure what that means, but I don't see any of the messages I posted when I joined in 2015 up until around 2020 when I see I was trying to reset my password for the original account.

Anyway, whats done is done.  I understand the other account is gone, as I can see its gone. Just letting you know the message I received from admin in April 2021 was that the original account would be preserved and it appears somehow it was not.

I've lived through worse technical challenges in life! Thanks for trying to figure it out. Looks like something just glitched somewhere.

moglow

Odd. When I go to your profile and click on the "show posts" link, your posts show up all the way back to 2015. I can see where some may have been purged, just like everyone else's  but I see a number of your posts there. 🤷🏻‍♀️

dreamtree

Oh, wow. Ok!  How odd that I can't see that. Yeah, something is amiss. I checked my email address too to see if I got a message about a response and nothing.

Anyway, if someone has time to send me a pm on this, we can try to figure it out from there? Whatever works.

WHatever happened can't be entirely unique to my account.

I'll try to ponder what else might have happened, but I am out of ideas. The entire reason I even set up another account was because I could not get a proper password reset accomplished. I wish I could remember more.

THanks!

xredshoesx

part of the issue may be the changing of the account name.

if i'm looking for pms from a member with the user name Y and they change it to X it's an issue.

looking back the original notification was sent to the account in question in april of 2021, and responded in feburary of this year.    when the message was received in 2022 the accounts were merged to try to preserve the post history, of which some gets pruned for all accounts over 5 years old, regardless of member status (active and inactive alike)

please help me understand the time lapse between the accounts being flagged as duplicate and your response almost a year later. 

dreamtree

Hi, I just got your test message.

As per my reply when I hit "reply with quote" the "to" field is not populated.

So I used, once again, the "report to admin" button, so lets see if that got to you,

As regards the time lapse, I cant help you understand it. All I can say is I didnt respond a year later. I responded several times prior from the new account, the one the message was sent to, which is this one, with a different email address. I explained all this in two separate messages that I guess you never received at the time.

Also, during covid, having a high risk family and having just been through breast cancer, I had quite a bit of things to think about besides how to solve a revolving technical problem to which I could not get a reply.

However, it occurs to me part of why I could not get a reply from anyone could be that I did not know my inbox was full from a single message.

So, its possible I was sent replies but didnt get them. I didnt really understand the "inbox full" indicator, and figured it was an error. Back when I joined thank goodness one could get more than one message without it getting filled.

However, in the end. I can tell you that my original account which was associated with a different email was the one I had sent password reset requests that somehow never get resolved. That was the whole reason I opened a new account. I have been gone from the list for a long time because thank god I had escaped the main PD that had ruined my life and had moved on. My reason for wanting to resume was because my father got subsumed into a PD void.

It may not be worth the trouble of trying to figure out what happened.

So, lets consider it as resolved as its going to get. Thanks.

Spring Butterfly

As a side point during our period database cleanup messages older than 5 years are also purged so you may (at some point) only see messages back to 2017 which is 5 years ago.
Every interaction w/ PD persons results in damage — prep beforehand and make time after to heal
blog for healing