Financial abuse-help!

Started by Mary, April 03, 2022, 12:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

notrightinthehead

Good for you Mary! You sound like you are on a good path, doing the reasonable and responsible thing.
I can't hate my way into loving myself.

bloomie

Reading through and catching up with this reconstruction process, Mary. Whew! What a difficult project to navigate. I am thankful you are in your home and things have come together for you. Thank you for the update!
The most powerful people are peaceful people.

The truth will set you free if you believe it.

Poison Ivy

Much to be thankful for this year. I'm glad for you!

SonofThunder

Quote from: bloomie on November 21, 2023, 09:16:27 AMReading through and catching up with this reconstruction process, Mary. Whew! What a difficult project to navigate. I am thankful you are in your home and things have come together for you. Thank you for the update!
:yeahthat:  Congrats!

SoT
Proverbs 17:1
A meal of bread and water in peace is better than a banquet spiced with quarrels.

2 Timothy 1:7
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.

Proverbs 29:11
A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.

Mary

For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called. (Isaiah 54:5)

Mary

Now that the house is safe and livable, do you think it is advisable to finish it (e.g. all the drywall)? My concern is that once it is done, he will want to move again. I've told him that I'm not selling, but we could rent it out for an income stream. Seems that maybe I should just drag my feet and not be in a hurry to finish the work. Thoughts?
For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called. (Isaiah 54:5)

Mary

Next is the HVAC system. My brother was helping put in an outlet box and found a burn mark on the insulation. This shows me that the wiring is not sufficient for the current heating system. So thankful the house did not burn down this winter!

Mary

Question--now that I am financially stable (Yay!), is it reasonable for me to take over paying for house repairs/drywall/etc on my own? Or keep accepting help from the church given that anything donated is mine and if he would ever file for divorce I could say the house was donated by friends and family? Note that uNPDh still will not assist with any house building, maintenance, repairs, etc.

Also a quick update that DH has started sleeping in the house most of the time except when in a cranky mood sleeps in the RV. And he told the kids to do the same as of 11/5/23 which is such a good change. Even when he sleeps in the RV, the kids are still in the house with me. Pretty sure his mom found out some things...

bloomie

Mary - so thankful your brother was able to uncover this issue that could've been devastating!

I have no idea how donated material and labor would breakdown legally if your H decides to divorce. Is there a legal clinic in your area where you could get some good advice about how best to document and protect yourself financially?
The most powerful people are peaceful people.

The truth will set you free if you believe it.

SonofThunder

Quote from: bloomie on April 18, 2024, 04:35:57 PMMary - so thankful your brother was able to uncover this issue that could've been devastating!

I have no idea how donated material and labor would breakdown legally if your H decides to divorce. Is there a legal clinic in your area where you could get some good advice about how best to document and protect yourself financially?
:yeahthat: +1

SoT
Proverbs 17:1
A meal of bread and water in peace is better than a banquet spiced with quarrels.

2 Timothy 1:7
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.

Proverbs 29:11
A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.