PD's copying you

Started by Jolie40, January 12, 2023, 02:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jolie40

just thought of this today, how PD parent & GC seemed to copy me when I shared "happy" things

for example, husband & I had to get a new fridge & the freezer was on the bottom
I said how much I really, really liked this new fridge
next thing I knew, PD parent went out & bought the exact same fridge!

so husband & I decided to have a house built....it was before parenthood & we were both working a lot (I was working 2 jobs) so it was a good opportunity....we were super excited & the builder let us do work, like painting/staining everything to save money

guess what? PD parent decided to have a house built, too!

we became parents at an older age & were SO excited to be parents
GC had 2 kids already with the youngest being 10 already
guess what? GC announces she is pregnant & claims it was an accident
an accident after 10 yrs?
before the pregnancy, it often seemed she was jealous of the attention on our kid

what do you think? just coincidence?
be good to yourself

Starboard Song

Hooboy.

Having another child after TEN YEARS is a long walk to water. The other stuff I was with you on, but I sure hope they didn't really start all over with an infant to get some attention. Wow. I really really hope they didn't do that.
Radical Acceptance, by Brach   |   Self-Compassion, by Neff    |   Mindfulness, by Williams   |   The Book of Joy, by the Dalai Lama and Tutu
Healing From Family Rifts, by Sichel   |  Stop Walking on Egshells, by Mason    |    Emotional Blackmail, by Susan Forward

Srcyu

Hooboy,
No coincidence, not copying either, not really.
They are 'stealing' all your good things in the form of imitation because you/we cannot possibly be allowed anything that elevates us in any way. The fridge/freezer - you can't have one if PD doesn't. So they buy one.
The house - no no no, that puts you way above them. Also not allowed unless they do it too.

The baby (congratulations) well ...... GC will not be beaten on that. We must not do, have, enjoy anything they think makes us shine. Their jealous natures just cannot deal with it.

notrightinthehead

Maybe. On the other side, before I buy a new item, such as a fridge, I ask my people what kind of fridge they have and if one raves about hers I will definitely consider buying the same. Not to top her but rather because I am inspired by what my people have or do.
I have joined fitness centers because my friend went there and considered taking a holiday in places where others spoke enthusiastically about.
Sometimes one can be inspired by what others do and then find the courage to do the same. It can be a PD thing, but it's also normal to copy what others do. That's how we learn.
I can't hate my way into loving myself.

Jolie40

Quote from: notrightinthehead on January 13, 2023, 02:15:50 AM
On the other side, before I buy a new item, such as a fridge, I ask my people what kind of fridge they have and if one raves about hers I will definitely consider buying the same.

that makes total sense, notrightinthehead

I did rave about the new fridge
found it much easier to use with freezer on bottom instead of top
on another note, puppy seems to want to look in freezer every time I open it!
be good to yourself

Jolie40

Quote from: Windmill on January 12, 2023, 07:02:13 PM
The baby (congratulations) well ...... GC will not be beaten on that. We must not do, have, enjoy anything they think makes us shine. Their jealous natures just cannot deal with it.

I do wonder about the baby & don't totally believe the baby was an "accident" as GC said
maybe "accidentally on purpose?"

it doesn't make sense to start all over again after 10 yrs & giving birth at age 41
maybe the baby really was an accident
be good to yourself

NarcKiddo

Quote from: Jolie40 on January 14, 2023, 04:29:59 AM
it doesn't make sense to start all over again after 10 yrs & giving birth at age 41
maybe the baby really was an accident

Hard to say. A friend of mine started all over again after 15 years when she already had two children aged 15 and 19. In her case it was an attempt to shore up a failing relationship with the father of the existing children. It failed completely.

As for the fridge - I agree with notrightinthehead to some extent. However, in my experience, people who want feedback from others on a major purchase will usually be the ones to bring up the subject. They might even stick something on social media along the lines of "Hey, I need a new fridge. What fridge do you have and are you happy with it?" Or if you buy one and rave about it they might say "That's good to know. My fridge is a bit rubbish. I think I might replace it." I get the impression your PDs did not say anything, just went out and bought the fridge, which to me smacks of envy more than a need for a new fridge.

It's funny how the puppy wants to look into the freezer. At least that way round they are not faced with a tempting array of ready-to-eat treats which might make them decide to learn how to open it in your absence!
Don't let the narcs get you down!