Appreciating the support of music, gratitude

Started by Blueberry Pancakes, January 20, 2023, 10:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blueberry Pancakes

Wondering if others have found solace in music? It could be any kind, any artist, any song.

I recently listened to one particular song I really liked that was popular when I was 10 years old. In those days, the only place I could hear it was in the car when my parents were driving somewhere or if the portable radio that sat in the corner in kitchen was on. This particular song had my first name in it and is also in the song title. It is a bit romantic and gentle and has sweeping violins in the background. I would sit in the backseat of the car when the song played and I felt like he was singing directly to me. It would make me feel seen, loved, appreciated.

It was my secret. I almost felt embarrassed about it, but I held it close. I never told anyone that I liked this song. Nobody ever called out the obvious connection with my name either. It was sort of a treasure to me. Even when the song eventually faded in popularity, I still thought about it. It actually sort of got me through some times when felt very, very down.

I just thought of it recently and listened to it, and was astounded when those same feelings I had as a 10-year-old kid came back. I was swept away. It still gets me. It touches my heart like nothing else. I feel like it continues to remind me that I will be OK and that I was OK all the time.

SonofThunder

Hi Blueberry Pancakes,

Most definitely a yes for me.  As you well described, both music from my childhood, where i escaped to my room in solitude away from my uPDf, and entered into the music in peace. Then also in later years, in the power of music without words.  There is also my faves that remind me of my now-adult children's k-12 years and even their favorites, which remind me of the joys of parenthood.

Interestingly, there have been some fave artists/groups from my college days and into my first decade of marriage (music + lyrics) which i really liked for the musical ability behind the singing/songwriting, but i did not really pay close attention to the lyrics/story.  I sang along with the songs, because i like to sing, but again, did not pay attention to the meaning or story behind the words. 

Now though, decades later, im revisiting these artists and understanding the lyric's meanings, which hit close to home in my experiences over the past decades and even in my life now.  Those two groups are Til Tuesday and Everything But the Girl.  Excellent and underrated musicians in both, and the lyrics of many of the songs align with my experiences and some of their personal sufferings.  Not religious in any way (this is the religion board), but many of their songs speak raw truth of suffering, manipulation and inability to control others, but only understanding ourselves and our situations which are intertwined with other humans.

Thanks for sharing your story.

SoT
Proverbs 17:1
A meal of bread and water in peace is better than a banquet spiced with quarrels.

2 Timothy 1:7
For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline.

Proverbs 29:11
A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.

11JB68

Absolutely,  here.  I was just thinking tonight about how much music has always been a part of my life.  I had many influences while growing up on my musical interests.
When upset or stressed or angry I like to blast loud music in my car and scream along with it

11JB68

And also I think this topic makes sense in this forum.... not necessarily religious but music,  any music,  can be spiritual

Blueberry Pancakes

Thanks, SoT and 11JB68.

I find spirituality in music, and as stated, not "religious" music. It is just something non-physical that touches my soul. It can speak to the core of what I am going through, and it is amazing how it can come from people who will never even know me. 

I guess I am just grateful for that which accompanies us along this journey and shows up in unexpected places. It can give you just what you need, and you can sit with it, and it is yours and nobody can take it away.

moglow

Quotemusic,  any music,  can be spiritual
Yes! And like y'all, my musical needs vary. What strikes me one time isn't quite what I need the next, thus the several stations I have saved on Pandora. It soothes the beast inside when nothing else will do.
"She had not known the weight until she felt the freedom." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
"Expectations are disappointments under construction." ~Capn Spanky, The Nook circa 2005ish

Mary

Wow, yes. So often a song will come to mind that touches my exact need at the time. A kiss from God.
One of the recent ones that has sustained me:
God Will Take Care of You
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijytLs96yig
For thy Maker is thine husband; the LORD of hosts is his name; and thy Redeemer the Holy One of Israel; The God of the whole earth shall he be called. (Isaiah 54:5)