New Look and Feel at Out of the FOG in JUNE 2023

Started by Starboard Song, May 30, 2023, 03:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starboard Song

Welcome to an upgraded UX!

Out of the FOG got a facelift: new features, a new look, the same great community and resources.

Where are Login, Logout, and Profile Options?
  • These are now in the upper-left corner.
  • Usernames are no longer displayed: clicking your profile avatar brings up the details.
  • You'll also find notifications and messages in the upper-left, next to your profile.
  • When you log in, you can specify a time period to stay logged in. It defaults to "Forever."

How do I control Private Messages or Emails?
  • Your email address is never displayed to members, though you can see it.
  • In the upper-left, there is an in-box next to your profile circle: that is PMs.
  • Select that in-box, then SETTINGS, to check or adjust your PM settings.
  • We discourage use of private messaging for other than moderation and administrative questions.

Where are Updated Topics and Unread Posts?
  • Click on your profile in the upper-left corner.
  • These are the first two options there, customized to you.

Has anything gotten easier?
  • A new 'Quick Reply' feature at the bottom of every thread helps you join in.
  • In the upper-right corner of a single post, look for "Quote" and "Quick Edit" options.
  • Word bubbles on the left of boards still indicate unread content (when they are dark).
  • Cool new pop-up messages confirm some actions.

How do I report a post to moderators?
  • In the upper-right corner of a single post, look for ": More...", which holds the "Report to moderator" option.
  • Nothing has changed: use this feature to report guidelines violations, or to request any sort of help.

Radical Acceptance, by Brach   |   Self-Compassion, by Neff    |   Mindfulness, by Williams   |   The Book of Joy, by the Dalai Lama and Tutu
Healing From Family Rifts, by Sichel   |  Stop Walking on Egshells, by Mason    |    Emotional Blackmail, by Susan Forward

Associate of Daniel

Thanks for all that everyone does for this site, including keeping  it updated.

Unfortunately though, I'm really struggling with this new format on my mobile.   It might be easier on my laptop but I haven't checked yet.

I can't find a "recent" button (that made viewing updated threads that I have contributed to easier to locate.)

I also struggled to find where to log in and it doesn't keep me logged in when I visit later.

I'll keep playing around with it.  My lack of technical ability is probably the problem.  But I'm interested to see if others are having similar difficulties.

Again, thank-you.  Your work is so valuable and much appreciated.

AOD

Starboard Song

Quote from: Associate of Daniel on June 01, 2023, 10:36:05 PMI can't find a "recent" button (that made viewing updated threads that I have contributed to easier to locate.)

I also struggled to find where to log in and it doesn't keep me logged in when I visit later.

• "Unread and Updated" options are in the upper-left corner, available by clicking on your profile image.
  • Login is in the upper-left corner, instead of your profile image, whenever you are logged out. It looks like an arrow pointing into a door.
  • Please report back if the logging out problem persists. You should be able to specify a "time to stay logged in" and it should default to Forever.

I've updated the top of this thread with your questions. I hope you get comfortable with it after a couple more uses. Thank you for your kind words, and for all of your own great contributions to this community!

Radical Acceptance, by Brach   |   Self-Compassion, by Neff    |   Mindfulness, by Williams   |   The Book of Joy, by the Dalai Lama and Tutu
Healing From Family Rifts, by Sichel   |  Stop Walking on Egshells, by Mason    |    Emotional Blackmail, by Susan Forward

Associate of Daniel

Ah. Thanks, Starboard.

I think my problem is the "pictograms". I'm someone who needs words. Looking through the pages of the new look site, I really have no clue of what many of the pictograms (icons?) mean. I'll work it out eventually and hopefully remember which ones I need for what.

Possibly the fact that my username is not displayed at the top of the screen lead me to think that I wasn't logged in.

AOD

Starboard Song

The new icons are new-fangled all right. Don't worry, we all struggle with that sometimes.

Good point about our usernames not showing: that can make it look like you aren't signed in, when you really are. That explains why you felt you were getting kicked out. Adding a profile image (like my guitar) can help make it more obvious you are in.

Select an avatar by pressing that Profile circle in the upper-left corner.
Select Look &Layout
Then choose a standard avatar from the gallery, or upload your own image.

Thanks for the feedback, and don't give up!

Associate of Daniel

Thanks, Starboard.

I've now accessed the site through my laptop and it a much better layout (with more words!).  Much easier for me to find my way around.

AOD

Pepin

I am also struggling with the new facelift.  For me, it is the font and that things I am used to have been rearranged.  It will definitely take some time.       

Spring Butterfly

Quote from: Pepin on June 06, 2023, 07:43:11 PMI am also struggling with the new facelift.  For me, it is the font and that things I am used to have been rearranged.  It will definitely take some time.     
Hopefully you've got a good flow shortly! Keeping our forum software up to date is necessary for security and support. Sometimes that happens with my phone updates and it takes a bit of time orienting to things. Without it though, I wouldn't have support or security patches for my phone.
Every interaction w/ PD persons results in damage — prep beforehand and make time after to heal
blog for healing