Family Photos

Started by Fiasco, November 18, 2023, 02:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fiasco

On the phone for my weekly (ugh) call with BPDm and she's going ON AND ON about some box of photos that's been in her family for over a hundred years and how when she dies I need to keep them in the family. She has never one single time in my life showed me these HISTORIC photos and I'm supposed to keep them because they're so important. I'm literally not keeping anything in that house but the audacity of this nonsense is making me crazy. Ah now she's recommending which of her relatives I should give them to, even though she did nicely say "family includes you" OMG save me from this.

moglow

Swell. Just what you always wanted. In spite of their importance, i'm guessing that you can't identify more than a very light smattering of the people in them. You don't know the stories behind them, can only hope someone else can fill in those blanks someday. 

Mine occasionally talks about her "collections" and who should get them - I haven't asked, kinda afraid to. I suspect they're going to find secondhand and thrift stores one day.
"She had not known the weight until she felt the freedom." ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter
"Expectations are disappointments under construction." ~Capn Spanky, The Nook circa 2005ish

Poison Ivy

"Okay, Mom" or "okay, Dad" (or whoever). That's the quickest, easiest way to respond.

Fiasco

Quote from: moglow on November 18, 2023, 03:07:59 PMSwell. Just what you always wanted. In spite of their importance, i'm guessing that you can't identify more than a very light smattering of the people in them. You don't know the stories behind them, can only hope someone else can fill in those blanks someday.

Not one. And in fact I don't even know the NAMES of anyone in her family beyond her parents and siblings. I mean, why would you bother telling your ADOPTED kid anything about your real family anyway.    :wacko:

Fiasco

Quote from: Poison Ivy on November 18, 2023, 03:16:06 PM"Okay, Mom" or "okay, Dad" (or whoever). That's the quickest, easiest way to respond.

Couldn't even choke out the words. I just ignored her until I couldn't take it any more and then said, gotta go. You're totally right though! I'm just exhausted from the same one hour conversation every single week, you'd think I'd be grateful this was at least a new topic.

NarcKiddo

Oh, joy. Well, sounds like you made no promises so you can do what you like with them with a clear conscience. Or you could maybe suggest she has a nice visit with the relatives and hands over the photos now. She could explain their historical significance to the relatives to be sure they fully understand. Lucky relatives!  ;D
Don't let the narcs get you down!

Sneezy

Oh gosh, this reminds me of my MIL.  She saved magazines.  As in trunks and trunks full of magazines in her attic.  She thought they were valuable for some reason.  She once stated that, after she dies, her DILs are going to be very busy and it would likely take us many days to go through her magazines and divide them up between us.  I couldn't even respond to that.  I just looked at my SIL and mouthed "recycling center?"  I mean, there is narcissism and then there is the level of narcissism that makes someone truly believe that her DILs are going to spend days poring through and fighting over her hundreds of old magazines.  :stars: