Long weekends and days off

Started by Cascade, March 25, 2024, 04:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cascade

Another long weekend is coming and after many years of marriage, I am really tired of disliking every long weekend, stat holiday or any other time my husband has more than one day off of work at a time. I am really thankful he has a job, as I know some PDs don't, but I Sure wish I could look forward to long weekends like most people do. I also pretend like I'm looking forward to the time off, with acquaintances and co-workers, because I don't want to tell people how much I dislike spending time with my husband. Do the rest of you also pretend you enjoy long weekends?

MaxedOut

My PD doesn't work, so long weekend are a chance for me to fit in time with friends and family and activities I enjoy for myself. Normal weekends are usually about cleaning, errands, caregiving, and time together so it doesn't usually feel restorative.

I definitely have had times like winter breaks, staycations, etc. when I feel relieved that the work week is coming. Holidays are usually fertile ground for dysregulation with my SO.

square

Cascade, I hear you. The time that is supposed to be restorative is actually when the pressure cranks up.

My H suddenly took a couple of days off, just because he accrued them. He never has plans, just sleeps and mopes around. I didn't actually see him - which, as a side note must surely be weird, two people in an 1,100 square foot house not seeing each other for three full days. But anyway, we had weather that kept me and DD home so we felt extra cooped up. Relieved today to go out then have the afternoon free to do my stuff since H is back at work today.

Cascade

Square, I hate those unexpected days off. My husband doesn't do much on his days off either. He doesn't spend any time with anyone else or have any hobbies unless you count watching tv or looking at his phone a hobby. Oh yeah and spying on the neighbours. 😂 At least when you know they are going to be home, you can plan things to stay busy or get out of the house for a few hours.

notrightinthehead

I remember it well, those days when he would hang around the house like a dark cloud, ready to criticize and disapprove. How sad I felt when I thought there are couples  in this world who enjoy each other's company.
I can't hate my way into loving myself.

blunk

Mine was chronically unemployed. It made me not look forward to my days off.

On the plus side, once the divorce was final I had accrued so much vacation time that I was able to sell some back and take the first REAL vacation of my life!

IsleOfSong

Quote from: Cascade on March 25, 2024, 04:31:17 PMDo the rest of you also pretend you enjoy long weekends?

Yes! As I like to say, "Thank God it's Monday." (I know that sounds pathetic, but sometimes work feels like less "work" than home does.)