A reminder to us all: Taking care of ourselves

Started by Andeza, August 07, 2021, 06:22:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andeza

This has been a recurring theme that I keep running across lately and wanted to share it here. I think that many of us, depending on where we are in our healing journey, are guilty at times of doing more for others than we do for ourselves. If you're a parent, you know exactly what I mean. Your child is ill, you take them to the doctor. You are ill... you tough it out? Until it gets scary bad? Why wouldn't we take as good care of ourselves?

How often do we step back, look at our current situation and say "I should do X tomorrow to take care of myself"? I know I don't usually. DH has to remind me... bless him. But I've got a book I'm reading that has a whole chapter on this, and videos on YT that keep popping up with this same reminder. We have to take care of ourselves. Which is a great point because if we don't, who will? Nobody else lives in our skin and knows what demands our bodies have. This is beyond the usual concept of self-care too, because that it generally considered as "extra." Some of us are still working on the basics, and that's okay.

So with much love to all my fellow Foggers here, a reminder, to take care of yourselves as you truly deserve to be taken care of. Much love to you all! :bighug:
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

Poison Ivy

Thank you, Andeza. i have felt increasingly stressed and tired this year because of a variety of things. Early this week, I decided that I should give myself permission to accomplish only two things each day: doing my work (e.g., any paid employment)  and taking care of myself. On weekends, the "my work" thing might be going to see my mom or doing housework. The "taking care of myself" is anything that feels authentically like self-care, such as exercise, reading, and improving my diet.

xredshoesx

this is 100% why this summer i gold medaled in practicing the fine art of doing NOTHING.  my IRL job almost requires a body to be codependent in order to get a good evaluation....after the year we had in the time of COVID i saw the only choice was but to hunker down and make me a priority.

Andeza

@Poison Ivy, I like that idea. I feel there's a lot of value to your method and I'm going to look at employing that a bit more myself, thank you!

@xredshoesx, sometimes nothing is exactly what we need. I'm glad you took time for you!
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

Hepatica

Thanks Andeza. This is a good reminder.

xredshoesx - Congratulations on your Gold. That's fantastic and I am inspired to say that today I am going to practice the art of doing nothing. It's Sunday. I had a horrible night's sleep so I don't feel like doing anything. The dog's have been fed and been out.  Check. The rest of the day.... hmm.. NADA! sweeeeeeeet. :yes:
"There is a place in you where you have never been wounded, where there's
still a sureness in you, where there's a seamlessness in you, and where
there is a confidence and tranquility." John O'Donohue

thduda

Thanks Andeza,

We forget that putting ourselves first frees us up to be the best we can be for the people we love!