2023 goals

Started by Jolie40, November 24, 2022, 11:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

square

Wisingup, I also used sugar as a crutch. I sometimes couldn't even sleep if I didn't get my fix. Also, after dinner I would feel a crash and would need something sweet, at least a bowl of cereal, to not be weak and useless.

This time, for some reason, quitting was easy from the start. I overate some sweets one day and just felt done, plus some other factors. But the time I did it before, I used fruit as a crutch. I allowed myself all the fruit I wanted. When I had a craving, an orange or an apple seemed quite disappointing to consider but after I made myself eat one, I felt much better. And after a few days I didn't need them any more.

I think quitting just desserts and sugary drinks is worthwhile, so if you're thinking you want to just do that, I think that would be fantastic! If a soda or sweet coffee is part of your day, you could consider just cutting down or putting fewer pumps of sugar into your order. I think anything you do will be beneficial. I find for myself just avoiding it works best to deal with my blood sugar ups and downs, so I feel steady all day now.

I am a fan of whole fruit (not juice), so I don't avoid those.

mustard_seed

Happy New Year, Out of the FOG friends.

In reviewing 2022 I've found that Out of the FOG made a significant impact in my life this year. I held onto my own reality thanks to the witness and support of this community. I am acting with more self-respect and autonomy, even though things are wobbly at times. It feels like a new stability has entered my life.

In 2023, I want to continue developing a healthier relationship with myself. In January, I'll be doing a 30-day yoga series and meditation in the mornings to start my day. My intention is that this will help me begin the day with mindfulness. I've had some quirky health issues pop up at the end of this year, and I need to listen to my body and take care of myself.

I have other hopes for this year, and I'd love to participate on this thread throughout 2023 to check in on the year's progress. I'm trying to start small in January and hope to build in more goals as the year goes on.  :phoot:

Jolie40

great goals everyone!

I'm joining a third writing group this month. The leader extended submission deadline for the anthology they're putting out this year. Very excited I've written a story to submit.
be good to yourself

Jolie40

Quote from: Poison Ivy on December 09, 2022, 06:54:08 PM
I need a different goal for 2023. I decided to help my dear dog end her journey today. She was my fifth dog, and making the decision changes but never gets easier.

so sorry about the loss of your dog! it is SO tough

our 12 yr old dog collapsed in 2020 & ER vet said she had pancreatic cancer
they said surgery would only give her couple mos so we had to let go
bad part was because of covid, they wouldn't let us go in & say good-bye which was terrible
be good to yourself

Jolie40

Quote from: mustard_seed on January 01, 2023, 06:18:44 PM
In January, I'll be doing a 30-day yoga series and meditation in the mornings to start my day.

sounds like a great goal!

let us know how it goes :yourock:
be good to yourself

Poison Ivy

Jolie40, I'm sorry you couldn't be with your dog when she passed away in 2020. I understand how awful that was for you.

So here I am, less than one week into 2023 and planning to meet another dog in a few days. I think I'm ready. But a few things are giving me pause: (1) Did I give up too soon on my last dog? (2) Because of my age, perhaps I should be planning for this to be my final adoption. Aargh!

escapingman

Poison, get a new dog. You are never to old, young or whatever. Get your dog. I wish I could have a dog but I am allergic.

Jolie40

Quote from: Poison Ivy on January 04, 2023, 02:35:40 PM
So here I am, less than one week into 2023 and planning to meet another dog in a few days. I think I'm ready.

how wonderful! what breed of dog?

I see lots of elderly people (over 70) around town walking dogs. I think a pet keeps one going. My 80 yr old neighbor lost her husband & she got a cat for company. She is so happy with that cat!
be good to yourself

Poison Ivy

I don't know the breed: maybe a terrier and a hound mix? He's cute, he now has only three legs (an injured and never fixed leg was amputated last week), and he's friendly with people and with other dogs. This dog and another one were left behind when home owners or renters were evicted or chose to move. The dogs were fed by neighbors but otherwise were on their own for about four months, until an organization in the state several hundred miles from mine were notified and took them in. I have a huge soft spot for dogs in situations like this.

Andeza

Step one of having third and final child is achieved. We're pregnant, now to just make it nine months and a healthy delivery.
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

JustKeepTrying

Congratulations Andeza!   :fireworks: :fireworks:

Poison Ivy

Congratulations, Andeza!

Jolie40

Quote from: Andeza on January 08, 2023, 04:45:05 PM
Step one of having third and final child is achieved. We're pregnant, now to just make it nine months and a healthy delivery.

Congratulations Andeza!    :woohoo:

are you going to find out if it's a boy or girl?

be good to yourself

Andeza

Thanks y'all! Yes, we'll find out. We have with out others and we like knowing. :)
Remember, that there are no real deadlines for life, just society's pressures.      - Anonymous
Lasting happiness is not something we find, but rather something we make for ourselves.

littlelimabean

For 2023,

I want to have fun. I want to get into coding competitions. I want a job. I want to feel safe, and heal more.

Jolie40

how is everyone doing on their 2023 goals?

I joined a third writing group & look forward to the meetings

went to a women's retreat this month
I stayed an extra night @ hotel; it was nice to get away!
be good to yourself

Jolie40

be good to yourself

Poison Ivy

I adopted the three-legged dog. He ran away within an hour of coming into my house for the first time. A group of wonderful volunteers helped bring him back home one week later. My new goal for 2023: Don't let the dog out! At least, don't let the dog out when he's not on the leash with my hand holding the other end.

Jolie40

Quote from: Poison Ivy on January 30, 2023, 06:58:43 PM
A group of wonderful volunteers helped bring him back home one week later.

so glad you got him back!

we have two super long tie outs
I hook dog out front door to wait for kid to get off bus.....he gets super excited!
other one is in garage where I can hook him to go out side door to potty at 1 am

husband & kid take dog out on leash to potty
I prefer my way especially if cold outside
be good to yourself

Jolie40

need to add additional goals for 2023:

1) get the 2022 taxes done on time or do the extension
2) do the 2021 taxes! I did the extension but October came & went & I didn't do them
luckily, IRS doesn't come after you if you're due a refund
3) after taxes done, start working on my piles of paper.....I'm horrible about paper stuff as each piece is a decision
(do I shred, do I keep, do I toss)
4) lose 10# this year
I lost wt couple yrs ago & am normal wt now.....just would like a buffer in case I gain any back
be good to yourself