NOTES FROM THE THERAPY UNDERGROUND - By Richard Grossman, Ph. D.

Started by hhaw, April 13, 2019, 12:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hhaw

I found a lot of good information in this book about working with T's, selecting T's, and what's gone wrong in the past with T's doing more damage than good.

If you're searching for a good T, or want to better understand how therapy should work, and how it's set up to work or not work, this is an informative, very short read I recommend to everyone.  Dr. Grossman shares his experiences to enlighten us on our journey.  He pulls back the curtain on Ivy League "best practice" training, and shows us where things go wrong, and how we can avoid mistakes. 

I recommend this book, 2 THUMBS UP!

hhaw

What you are speaks so loudly in my ears.... I can't hear a word you're saying.

When someone tells you who they are... believe them.

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."
Nietchzsche

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness."
Eleanor Roosevelt

SaltwareS

Thanks for the recommendation, I've not heard of this one.

I am living (somewhat better now, ten years later) with therapy-induced trauma. I warned people in another forum that therapists are not to be trusted if you're considering joint therapy with the Ns in your life. The T will give in the N and throw you under the bus.

hhaw

I'm hope you do find this book helpful.  I think Dr. Grossman has a valid POV to aid in one's search for a "good" therapist.

I'll share this.....
after many failed therapy attempts with therapists, I was referred to a Therapist specializing in spriritual holistic approach to anxiety, depression, trauma and addiction with traditional and intuitive therapy, EMDR, IFS, AIT, energy, spritual and Buddhist sychology tailored to the client's unitque needs. 

Mindfulness practice is an important part of learning to quiet the mind in order to tend to the trauma so it can be processed and filed into historic files inside the brain.

Not only should a prospective therapist have many tools their tool box, they should also be practicing mental health care themselves to avoid their ego entering the therapeutic relationship.  I've experienced ego problems with every other Therapist until the one who helped me heal.... and that Therapist has her own therapist and speaks about her journey and 16 years sobriety.  She's walking the walk....not just talking the talk.

Her designations are Lic Clinical Mental Health Counselor Supervisor, MS, LCMHCS and LCAS,but really good therapy can be had from Therapists in all walks of practice... they just have to have good tools, be non judgmental and healthy enough to keep their ego out of therapy sessions....this is HUGE, IME.

The list given to me on the first day of therapy:

Drop judgement... all of it.  Stop judging others, yourself and situations.  Replace judgment with curiosity instead.

Be very kind with yourself, as though you're a small child and continue being kind.

Accept what you can't change. I mean.... accept and put down the story around the painful thing. Just...put it on a mental book shelf and let it be.

Release expectation and keep practicing being kind to yourself, above all else.

Discovering the cause of your distress is easier when you have a good Therapist to guide and witness..... calm and direct your journey, IME.

You deserve healing and I wish you the best.

hhaw

What you are speaks so loudly in my ears.... I can't hear a word you're saying.

When someone tells you who they are... believe them.

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."
Nietchzsche

"It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness."
Eleanor Roosevelt